Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Long Road

A view from my recent walk...and a metaphor for so many reasons.  This has been a difficult year for me, yet - when updating this blog - I realize despite not completing the races I did the way I wanted to; I accomplished quite a bit.

The highlight of 2013 was participating in a Ragnar Relay (10/4/13) from Cumberland, MD to Washington, DC with the ladies from Another Mother Runner and 23 other ladies I had never met from all across the country.  I trained hard, ate clean and was ready to rock it.  Unfortunately, from a running standpoint, it was hot as Hades that weekend, and just getting it done was enough for each leg.  I conquered my fear of running by myself, at night, and through a cornfield.



A few short weeks after the relay, I was scheduled to finally have some plastic surgery to remove the sagging skin leftover from losing 135 pounds and having three children by C-section.  It was a difficult surgery (7 hours on the operating table to be exact) and a difficult recovery.  I had a hard time knowing how hard to push it when I was given the green light by my surgeon to resume my normal activities.  He was well aware of the intensity I put into my workouts, and was fine with a stepwise approach to returning to my normal baseline of activity and strength training.  I struggled with where I was before the surgery (in damn good shape) and where I was after the surgery nine weeks post-op (still in pretty good shape), and unable to pick up where I left off.

It has been a year of one step forward and two steps back.  Just this past week, I underwent another surgery; this time to fix a couple of incisional hernias.  I had the umbilical one at the time of my surgery last year, but it was determined to be safer to address it at a later date.  In the meantime, I developed another one near the incision of my tummy tuck scar.  In fact, it was not from the plastic surgery at all, but rather one of the original incisions from the c-sections.  I finally feel like my body is ready to go, but if I've learned anything over this past year, it is to respect the healing process and check my ego at the door.  I'll be walking regularly, at a brisk pace, for awhile and ramping up my strength training slower than this past go-around, in hopes that 2015 will be the year of pain-free training and finally get that sub-2 half-marathon PR that I so desperately desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment