Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Course correction - where is that map?

Not sure where to start with this one.  I'm really close to finishing a great book that was featured as the book club selection for Another Mother Runner entitled "Down Size: 12 Truths for Turning Pants-Splitting Frustration into Pants-Fitting Success."  The author, Professor Ted Spiker, is someone I had never heard of, even though he blogs at one of my favorite magazine's website - that being Runner's World.  I promise, I'm done linking other pages :).

I wasn't ready to read yet another how to be successful at weight loss book, but I had some time at Barnes and Noble and took a quick look at it.  Much to my surprise, it is full of honesty portrayed through humor and personal experience peppered with scientific studies and a host of prominent exercise physiologists' opinions on the topic.  I enjoyed the first chapters so much that I popped for the audible.com version so that I could listen while I'm walking.  On that note, I was able to log over 20 miles of walking last week and am aiming to keep that up until I am cleared to run after surgery on Christmas Eve.

Professor Spiker and I could have been separated at birth.  I laughed; I agreed; I shook my head in amazement of how right on he was with what I've experienced during this journey of improved health and weight loss that I've been on for the past five years or so.  I've been thinking lately that with all of the research and reading I do with regard to nutrition and exercise, I should be able to tweak what I eat and how I exercise to work specifically for me, and not blindly follow a prescribed eating plan, nor a generic half-marathon training plan.  This is not my first time at the rodeo.  I have data that I can rely on of my own accord. 


One of the best take away gems from the book is the "if/then" plan of attack.  For example, if I am at a meeting at school and I haven't had a chance to fuel properly, then I will have a protein bar in the car/mypurse/myworkout bag, etc. with a bottle of water for emergencies.  The whole fail to plan and you're planning to fail.  I've always subscribed to this, but breaking down into this very easy thinking is exactly what I need.  Today, I'm focusing on fueling my body and not my mind.  This morning's breakfast is something I've been looking forward to doing since I saw it appear on my twitter feed a few weeks ago.  I had 2 tablespoons left of Nuttzo in the jar (yes, I measured it!) and made some Bob's Red Mill high fiber oat bran cereal to mix into it with a few strawberries on the top.  It was SO awesome, and so filling. 
I also made a low-cal green protein shake that's in the freezer for later, as this breakfast filled me up so much that I wasn't hungry.  Imagine that.  It's really cold outside and I like to do my longest walk of the week today.  I'm going to go bundle up and see how much I can get done and concede to walking the treadmill for the last portion if I feel I need to warm-up.

I so need to just focus on the present - one meal at a time, one walk of the day and set the rest of the day up for success.  Today, I'm roasting all the squash sitting on my counter, baking up some chicken breasts and getting fresh greens at the store so that I'm ready for tonight and tomorrow and making the best choices possible.  No one is going to do this for me and no amount of me justifying my choices due to my busy schedule or my energy level or whatever is going on will do it either.  Time to put back on the big girl panties and get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment