Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Forgiveness

I was perusing Facebook this morning after eating breakfast (again, not my finest breakfast choices...better, but not where I want them, but more on that later) and read an article on Kara Goucher's recent performance at the NYC Marathon.  Most people have heard the conditions were less than ideal, and it was tough on many if not all people running the race, mortals and elites alike.  Kara has a special place in my heart because she is from Duluth and those of us from Northern Minnesota tend to stick together!  Anyways, this particular image was among her facebook photos: 
I've been struggling as of late, and can't seem to find a groove that lasts much longer than a couple of weeks at most.  Why can't I do what I did to lose 135 pounds originally and have it work to get the 15 or so that have crept back on back off?  Granted, I cannot workout with the same intensity or do the same things I did thanks to surgery recovery, but as we all know, weight loss is about 75-80% diet anyway.  I started googling forgiving oneself and then refined it as it relates to weight loss.

This article has some great strategies to do just that.  These 14 examples of positive thinking are great:

1.    Avoid absolutes and exaggerations
2.    Halt negative thoughts immediately
3.    Look for the positive
4.    It's OK to blow it
5.    Don't bully yourself
6.    Encourage yourself
7.    Lose the guilt
8.    Only you are responsible for you
9.    Be responsible for your feelings
10.  Be kind to yourself
11.  Let it go
12.  Learn to accept compliments and build your self-esteem, self-image and confidence
13.  Let bygones by bygones
14.  Focus on what's possible

So much great info underneath all of the headings in the article.  It's a quick read and I'd encourage everyone to peruse it.  The best take-away message for me was under number five.  "Don't hold yourself to standards that you wouldn't expect others to meet.  It's great to want to do well, but expecting yourself to be better than the best and then punishing yourself when you fail is a vicious cycle.  Using expressions like 'I should have' is just a way of punishing yourself after the fact.  Stop it.  Live in the present and move forward.  Don't drag the past along for the ride; it gets heavy...."

This seems to be a theme, because yesterday's blog post from Another Mother Runner on a positive attitude outlines having the rare ability to take a set-back or challenge and turn it around to make you stronger.  It all comes back to this:

I'll be channeling my inner Dory and Sara Bowen Shea and try to take these challenges head-on and learn from them to make me stronger so that 2015 is my best year yet.  At this point, I'll settle for a good and solid, Tuesday, November 4, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment