Friday, April 1, 2016

Intervals are hard!

Today's selfie was taken after my interval run on the treadmill scheduled for Thursday. It was a one mile warm-up which was 10 minutes of laddered incline walking and then as much slow running as needed to equal one mile. Next was 5 repeats of 400 yard speed intervals at 5K pace. I used my race times from my last real race which was the Twin Cities Marathon 10-mile (Shortcut to the Capitol) race. It was pretty much the upper limit to where I could run a solid 400 yards presently, so I ended up doing the first of the 5 at that speed and laddered the speed down .1 on the treadmill each repeat and then on the last one, I increased the speed .1 after each 100 yards to finish the last repeat at the higher speed. I walked as rest intervals of 200 yards between the speedier ones, and then cooled down for .5 miles to end the run. I decided to channel my Another Mother Runner Ragnar Team from 2013 and wear the shirt that we all wore from Saucony. Maybe that's why the run felt decent!

I was pretty tired from my strength training and running the day before (Wednesdays will be double workout days for this training cycle), but felt good and pretty strong by the end that I was able to complete the workout pretty much as I had intended.

Eating was pretty much on-point yesterday. I ended up having a skinny cow ice cream sandwich as dessert, even though I had planned on an orange and one square of dark chocolate. After thinking about this today, I didn't have enough protein for dinner trying to come in under my calorie goal, and I ended up going over it anyway with food that wasn't nourishment, but entertainment instead. Note to self. I'm still planning on the orange/dark chocolate treat tonight as I think it will really fill the sweet void I like at this time of night, but is way healthier than the alternatives I've been consuming. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself that all my workouts since Tuesday have been on the calendar and completed as planned. This was a foregone conclusion when I was losing the weight the first time, but as I've been learning about habits and how to adapt them to positive behaviors, I need to celebrate the positives and keep building upon them.


Now that the snow has stopped on April Fool's Day.....I need to get Nikki out for a walk and get some housework done. Once again, another Boston song was my ending song on my run, and again it was on shuffle. What is the universe trying to tell me? Anyways, here's the song, and here's my "coach" from yesterday. I also forgot my phone at home this morning so, no selfie from the gym to post tomorrow unfortunately, but I do have a great picture of my breakfast instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment